American football might not be everyone’s favourite sport but it’s a great excuse to get together with friends and chill. And let’s be honest, the culture around it is so intense that you can’t help but get involved in the beer guzzling, chip dipping fun. And the commercials! We read that brands pay approximately $5 million per 30-seconds for a halftime ad slot. Since it’s so expensive, it’s the one moment each year that advertisers truly try to bring their A-game. So with all of that in mind, we wanted to give you a peek into $150 million Super Bowl game and where to watch it.
This year, it’s going to be the AFC champion, the New England Patriots, against the NFC champion, the Atlanta Falcons. It will be hosted on neutral turf at Houston’s NRG Stadium. Kick-off is at 6:30 pm EST, but expect a lot of people pre-gaming (the word for pre-drinking in the States).
Where to go in the city:
A few spots will open their doors and roll down their big screens for this event. Some tickets are going for up to $40, but that gets you some drinks and food for the duration of the game.
- The Dock Ellis will be hosting a jam and serving up hoagies and chili for a fair price.
- Williams Landing in Liberty Village will be starting the afternoon off at 4pm with an all-you-can-eat pig roast for a flat rate.
- Graffiti’s Bar and Grill will be showing the game and giving out free chili dogs all afternoon!
- The Drake has partnered up with Carlin from Indie88 for the BIG GAME LI on the big screen. Snacks, queso fundido, and $5 drinks to boot.
- The Office Pub has an all-in party if anyone is a die-hard fan. The $40 ticket will get you 3 drinks and access to an all-you-can-eat buffet.
As a special note, this year is one of the first years that Canadians will be able to see American ads during breaks. Usually, when the Super Bowl is being shown on our channels, ads are swapped out for some good ol’ Canadian content. It’s a pretty big deal in terms of media and what that all means but it will be interesting to see. Find out more about the ban on the “SimSub” here.